Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fillings

A visit to the dentist's office always means pain. That's why dental scenes in movies are so effective. We've all had the experience of getting our tooth pulled out before, so it's easy to relate. It's like watching a man get hit in the balls. Every male cringes collectively at the sight since we could imagine it (and have probably experienced it as well).


After enduring some light traffic, I made it to UCI's health clinic a little earlier than I expected. I parked in Stall 2 of the patient parking area--I still remember because you have to check in or your car gets towed. Although my appointment was for 10:00, my early arrival got me started faster.

The dental assistant handed me plastic goggles to start off with. That gave me pause, since my wisdom teeth removal didn't even require goggles. The dentist, Dr. Wong, decided to kick off the party with a little needle action. It wasn't that bad at all, I just felt a slight sting. Once the anesthesia started taking effect, Dr. Wong put a wood block between my teeth and went to town on me with a drill.

Whoever created anesthesia is god.

I was feeling vibrations in my head. Every once in a while, Dr. Wong would wipe his hands on my bib. I know your name is Wong and all, but that just ain't right.

After drill operations were complete, Dr. Wong and his assistant decided to take a small 10-minute break. Since I didn't go to sleep until 4:00 last night (too much Battlefield Vietnam), I was feeling really sleepy. My stomach was also rumbling, and I regret not eating anything that morning--especially since they always recommend not eating for a couple hours after a visit.

Dr. Wong and his assistant came back to finish the job and filled the gaps with amalgam. By the time everything was done, my white t-shirt was covered with traces of blood. Dexter Morgan would probably be able to tell you exactly how I got them. My face still feeling numb, I bailed out and eagerly await for my next fulfilling visit to the dentist's office.